Search This Blog

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Most prized question

Yes, at least once in a while, I feel entitled to ‘honor’ a question, for the sake of that reward of joy that comes from the very act of honoring! (We feel fortunate that we are ‘capable’ of acknowledging something great! When that happens, we can mumble ‘wah wah’ even within ourselves, to avoid complications of others overhearing it, and insisting on ‘explanations’).

As I mentioned in my answer itself, I really did not expect ‘this’ question so soon, though the turn of the minds of the present youth seemed to be heading towards something like this. Having answered, I gave in to my curiosity and looked at the profile of the asker from the link given and it reassured me, now. Had I looked at the profile first, I would not have attempted to answer, knowing well that I do not merit the eligibility to trample on the sacred space of answers, for questions from such great personalities! Usually, such questions are asked on behalf of others, not for oneself. When a person is bogged down by this question, he /she cannot even bring oneself to ‘pronounce’ it! It is the compassionate master, the guide, who ‘senses’ such questions, and provides not just the answers, but even the guiding techniques!

This post does not seek anything more. It feels like a complete reward in itself!

Rewarding regards,
Psn(17th June, 2010)



http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100616160958AAZLRDX
How to solve the puzzle of "Enlightenment"?
How to get rid from the "desire for enlightenment" which is the greatest barrier in attaining Enlightenment?It is one of the eternal question for the seekers of truth. On the one hand the mind go on saying, "Attain enlightenment," and on the other hand soul go on saying, "Don't desire it."? What to do? How to solve this Mystery?God Bless
Additional Details
Answer from a Mystic Perspective.


My humble submission:
The choice of words reminds me of the very 'opening' sentences of the most ancient and most acknowledged work on mysticism/spirituality, that leads to enlightenment, written by a great Master, "Patanjali"! Many consider it a very strange way to begin a book! It starts thus :...... " AND NOW, yoga....." !!!!

The person for whom the time is ripe enough would not feel it to be a strange beginning at all! In fact he would "melt" due to a 'feeling of trust' surging from within, like never before, out of some sense of reassurance that "this master had been waiting to deliver this text into my hand, at the right time, all the time, and so has been following me, in an invisible manner, never forsaking me! I can 'see' that this opening sentences refer to my entire past effort, and now onwards, it is going to lead me, holding my hands thus! ''!

The very next few sentences answers this puzzle! (How to rid from the desire for .....)!!

The mind has to consciously quieten (this desire can be no where else except in the mind!). Till the mind is quiet, there can be no unfolding of that 'attainment'. There is one form of meditation practiced since ancient times. It is the simplest, and unfortunately the toughest too. Various other practices would 'assist' a person to set the conditions better for this meditation to happen better. This meditation enhances our capability to allow the mind to quieten of its own. Now, this can happen in stray, rare, and fortunate cases 'by itself' too. That accounts for 'chance-enlightenments' and even those 'crude-method-looking incidents we hear of from stories about Zen masters'!

(Despite the feeling that it looks preposterous for 'me' to mention anything like this, the temptation is equally great, which gives way, and persuades me to add here that, I never expected such a question to come up so soon on Yahoo Answers! This very question adds that bit of precious 'mystic sanctity' to the forum, if I am permitted to say so! It would be wonderful to find far better people answering this, with the much needed embellishment to the language to adorn the reply with enough overdose of salt, to make the readers thirsty-like-never-before, to now seek nothing else more!)

No comments: