Search This Blog

Friday, February 21, 2014

Our Selective-ness!

Sab kuch gadbad ho gaya .... mera peace of mind bhi gaya!”.... said my victim! He was my colleague.. And I knew, I had inadvertently victimized him with himself!

It all started with a very casual talk... We talked about our likes, dislikes, and then about kids, their demands, based on their likes... (somewhere, this 'selectivity criteria' based on likes/dislikes, more than what a situation needs, got into a snowballing effect, and I became a victim of my own thought process... it usually gets into this kind of concepts, and then the fellow next to me is the obvious scapegoat... That day, it was this colleague)..

He had quite a lot of people in his joint family... So the kids looked at him as an 'elder', to seek something from... this person was 'single' and hence he was under the impression that he was looking alike at all the kids of the household...

I asked him specific questions, when it came to taking 'responsibility' about those kids, and he gave details...

Then I asked him: “Hey, are you looking at these kids as if they were some 'difficulty-levels' of a game, designed for you to pick and choose?... Or do you also 'think' that,.... the way they are as kids, they are quite innocent as yet, and therefore, you have to look at their needs, and reach out to them that way... irrespective of what level of difficulty you need to undertake to make available their needs?”

He just felt himself hanging-in-mid-air, at that .. what I said...

I further added (I wished later, I hadn't ...).. and said “What if a doctor at a mental health home decides to take care of the patients according to 'difficulty-level' that suits his-own-comfort zone, and administers sedatives to the rest of them?... Or even that 'electric-shock' we see in movies?”
This one had hit him hard, perhaps! But having blurted, there was no going back... I did try the 'seemingly—antithesis'... “See, a mom loves all her kids, but gives that extra care to weaker ones” (He was by now so lost into his own introspection that he did not listen to the mom-story)..

Explaining that 'gadbad' he narrated his own 'reflections' about our office, when he used to haggle about a particular 'seat' during the 'rotation-of-duties' mandated periodically... I used to say, “so that, we do not grow roots on a particular chair” (but then there were 'specimens', who carried their chair to the new-table!)...

With automation, the criteria of selection is outsourced to a large extent! The 'tick-marks' on series of question-answer choice-boxes decides our IQ even!...

Does a Guru select or pick a disciple according to his 'difficulty-level'? (dunno...!..). Somebody/something... seems to have pushed me into that turbulent river of spirituality, and I had to learn to remain afloat first, to be alive, and only then to think about learning to swim! So, I am no good judge!


Selectively yours,

psn (21st February, 2014)

No comments: