Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

A Defect, defective, and Defector!

In all probability, it is my 'own-defect' that persuaded me to write about a defect!

The earliest of my memory reminds me that a 'defect' is usually about some malfunction in something that hinder's the 'expected' functionality....

But later, I encountered more instances of 'defect' being referred to, in isolation/exclusivity!!!
I wondered, “how can something be a 'defect' ... all-by-itself?”...

I kept the question alive... In the meanwhile, I preferred to that 'hindrance-to-expected-functionality-wala' version of it ... It worked fine with me!

Somewhere in 1971, I happened to listen to a lecture by Swami Chinmayananda... (I was interested in spiritual talks)...
Somebody asked, “Sir, are there ghosts?”....
He smiled....
And a 'wizard' that he was with words, ideas, presentation, communication.... he did not miss the chance to convey what 'he' had as his agenda!
“I can only say my experience... the nearest 'encounter' I had with what we think to be a ghost... I was trapped in a desolate forest-like place once... it was dark, and I was tired... I found an abandoned hut like structure, with no windows or doors ... it was wide open... long disuse...
I spread out a cloth and slept on it.. somewhere at midnight I heard a noise, 'chhaarrr... chhaarrr...' some screeching, dragging like sound... I woke... it stopped... after a while, it came again, the noise... I had to check it out, 'who could it be at this hour, at this place!!!'.. It came at intervals... Now, I stepped outside that hut, and tried to look around... When the noise came again, I caught the culprit! A low hanging branch was brushing on the tiled roof, when there was a breeze!.. I went inside and slept more-peacefully!... Now the noise 'chhaarr... chhaarr..' means.. more breeze!”

The story went right into me!.... I found that the 'concept' not only rhymes well with my-own-guess-work, but it teaches me even further! I now started looking for some utilitarian-functionality, of something which all others hurry-up to label/brand as 'defect'! (Like for example, I had alike-looking twins as my class mates, and while others struggled to identify each, I found ingenious ways to look out for typical-oddities in them, which occurs 'by-default'... I was thus a 'defector' from the bulk of the people around who take pride in pointing-out-defects of others with a glee!).

At work place, I found that 'systems-people' too, did make use of 'defects'... While others could not 'explain' to themselves, as to why this 'silly-rule' is there, that a cashier should keep his rubber-stamp(seal of acknowledging receipt of cash), under protective lock and key overnight... I could 'figure it out' by myself, and even explained to those who would care-to-listen, that rubber stamps acquire a few defects due to use, over a period of time, and some cuts, blisters, along the margin, makes it distinct, and thus identify easily, if some 'counterfoil' is faked and produced as evidence later on!

We do see people 'differently' abled, are able to perform feats that even 'abled' ones cannot!

Yours defectively,

psn(15th July, 2015)

4 comments:

Baturam Nayak said...

Oh ! So nice !
Nature has it's amazing mindfulness.
Implicit in a defect remains a de facto gracefulness, which a noticing eye can see.
This is the enigmatic virtue of 'defect'...which is always felt...yes, without being spelt.

One of the most encouraging saying reminds this:
"Let there be a crack so that light seeps in !"

Thank you Sir, for this encouraging write up.
Pranam.

Wanderer said...

Oh I first comment disappeared :) as I was not logged in .
Defect is part of nature because these gaps are to be fulfilled by each other . Nature works on the principle of all chipping in to make perfection out of each other's defects . Five different fingers together make a perfect working hand . All parts of nature work in rythm to make this universe appear perfect . Each thing , each being with individual defects has a role in this perfect scene .
Now we humans have become defectors and not doing our bid to keep the rythm perfect ....... Therefore we face so many imperfect happenings in nature .

Wanderer said...

Nita

soumyasrajan said...

interesting one naraynanji! It reminded me of a story, I had read in childhood and left quite similar impression on me.
The person wrote that he was walking in a jungle. Suddenly he started hearing a voice jhann jhann ... he started walking faster -the sound started louder and seems to be coming from near by. He started running .. the sound became louder and it seems as if it was also running with similar speed jhann jhann jhann ... . suddenly his hand moved in his coat pocket and he understood. His pocket had small hole and change in his pocket had slided down ..between two layers of coat. They were making the sound and they became louder as he started running as coat was shaking more..
He was releieved