Search This Blog

Monday, July 12, 2010

Unreasonable thoughts!

Yes!
It is these unreasonable thoughts that disturb us, till we helplessly tolerate it, get addicted over a period of time, and then it is too late to do something about it. Growing children find it embarrassing to seek help from elders around due to the very ‘classification’ (unreasonable is un-‘ask-able’ too!). Now, if they are to turn to their ‘close’ friends, this time, they really regret having kept those minority class of friends (honest, blunt, sincere and frank fault-finders) at a ‘convenient’ distance. The others, sailing in the same boat, would end up nurturing such unreasonable thoughts.

I attempted to look at a question seeking a way to handle these unreasonable thoughts.

To keep the answer brief, I broadly classified such thought processes in just two main categories. Interestingly, the second type seems just age-related, but not really so. If maturity happens at least with the aging process, may be it works. Otherwise, the mind by itself, happens to race towards that ‘second’ childhood with advanced aging, and so, on its way, also obviously traverses the ‘youthful’ urges too, on its way, now that aged people are usually classified as ‘elders’!

If the answer finds any appeal, then we can work towards a way to ‘train’ the youth and children into retaining an emotional balance, and then they would carry the ‘insulation’ wherever they go (it is not possible to insulate the situation and surroundings).

Psn(12th July, 2010)

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100711195612AA4xUzN

How to forget an unreasonable thought?
I guess I might be a little obsessive over things...But sometimes I will have the most unreasonable thoughts come through my mind, and they will haunt me over and over. Sometimes I feel quite frustrated by these thoughts. I like to discuss the things on my mind, it usually makes them go away, but somethings are just so embarrassing and disturbing to me, that I really rather not discuss them out loud. I know its unreasonable and ridiculous really, but its just really bothering me that I would think up such a thing. So, if there is some way to get rid of it, please tell me. Otherwise I will eventually just have to discuss this with someone, and I don't want to do that. I don't know why I get like this sometimes.
35 minutes ago
- 4 days left to answer.
Additional Details
It seems like it might be OCD. I mean...I sometimes get caught up into the habit of washing my hands excessively. But I only do this when there is something pressing on my mind...I am going to talk about it though to someone. Its just going to sit there on my mind if I don't. Thanks everyone for your great advice. :)


My answer:
When we find our own thoughts to be 'unreasonable' there could be two main reasons.

1- Our desires and expectations do not match practical possibility of fulfilment. This is the most commonly found 'unreasonable-ness' in our thoughts. This gives rise to inner conflicts, and consequently persuades negative emotions like anger, hate, jealousy and fear to 'flourish'.

2. Our basic urges, instincts due to biological reasons, inherited reasons, genetic reasons, and such other reasons, when not handled properly seem to overpower our 'social-sense' or acceptable norms of the society, and they build up some kind of pressure seeking an outlet. If the emotional balance is lacking, the frequency of such outbursts is common. It is these urges that give rise to such 'unreasonable' thoughts. If these thoughts are not 'resolved' conclusively, they remain like an unexploded live bomb, vulnerable to take us by surprise at any time! Expert HR people actually find it easier to test the emotional balance by 'provoking' such latent thought processes. [for example, it seems in one of the IAS interviews(a very high-profile civil service job), a few candidates scored equal marks upto the final level. Ages even could not be used to decide 'seniority'. So, an additional round of testing was used with just one common question, to find out the best candidate. It so happned, that all these candidates were males. The question was "You find enter a room, and suddenly find your sister fully naked. What do you do(How do you react)? When one candidate was selected, the others protested to know what was so special about this answer that theirs was not found 'reasonable'? The answers by these 'others' were almost similar and on 'expected' lines... like, "I would close my eyes", "I would take off my shirt/coat and cover her", "I would leave the room " etc... But this 'selected' candidate's answer was surprising. He said "I would hug her, and give her a kiss"! The selectors justified this answer, explaining that they had not stipulated the sister's age. A two year old child looks charming in her birthday-suit, and it is not an 'unreasonable' thought, to think of giving her a loving hug and kiss!]. When we use our self-awareness to evolve beyond these basic urges like hunger, thirst, survival, self-preservation etc, we are less vulnerable to such 'unreasonable' thoughts, and we do not remain crude and primitive.
Best wishes.

No comments: