Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

THE 'wisdom-philosophy'

I am all admiration for this question!
And,
As I ‘declared’ in the answer, I ‘resist’ any elaboration ..
Regards,
Psn (30th December, 2009)

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091227074854AARpajQ

The question:

What concept must we add to the criteria of philosophy as science to form the idea of philosophy as wisdom?

My Answer:
Oh! What a question!
It is almost like a ‘wake-up-alarm’ to those who seem to be just going in circles, under the illusion of moving forward!
And, this question does suggest (at least as a hint/clue) as to why, when all other scientific pursuits reach a point of academic study, they all are invariably called as “PhDs”/s !!

Well, in a nutshell, the concept to be added is the ‘element’ or ‘essence’ of “meditativeness” to form the idea of philosophy “as wisdom” !!

I suppose the “expansion” of the ‘nutshell’ (elaboration) is not at all warranted here, though it would indeed satisfy the few eager and thirsty! (The bewitching mystic ‘Spell’ of ‘wisdom-philosophy’ forbids it!)

In my deep experience, my saying mere a ‘thanks’ for this question, would look ridiculous! Yet, I submit an humble ‘Thanks’ which seeks to be beyond a formal one!


Another Very Good Answer:
Wow! What a question!OK. I think that the main ingredient is twofold. First and foremost,I think that the the philosopher must have an intimate knowledgeof himself/herself. Since we are human and share many common traits with all other humans, we are our own raw material fromwhich our philosophy can be forged. When we take an honest andthorough inventory of ourselves, we can see all aspects of all ofhumanity expressed in our being. The second is the practicality of our philosophy. If we ask ourselves "can this philosophy actually work' and if the answeris no, there is little point to holding on to it. If it can work then we can ask our selves if its basis is objective fact or is it personally motivated by subjective desires. If based on facts seen objectively, then it might be a usable set of ideas. If, on the other hand, its self serving then it will be subject to the influencesof our own minds and will be distorted as a result. I don't think of philosophy as science. For me, its my perception of life and how I live it day in and day out without going starkraving mad. Its basis is whats "good" or whats "bad" and goes against the empirical approach of the sciences whichtry to establish the cause and effect of our little world ofphenomena without being concerned as to its moral or ethicalvalue.Great question. A person who would ask this question can,in all likelihood, adopt a most productive and satisfyingattitude about life and how they would choose to live it.Thanks.

No comments: