Search This Blog

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Temple Trample!

When we do not know the purpose of visiting a temple, but invariably end up frequenting, by sheer force of habit, compulsion by social norms or otherwise, we could be inadvertently ‘trampling’ that divine place, where it would be expected of us to gently tread, a bit apologetically!
It might look funny, but the 'Hindu way of life' has even suggested ‘apologies’ in the form of ‘slokas’ to be offered to what we some times refer as “Mother-Earth”, when we urinate or shit upon it!
So “logically”, the abode of that “God” cannot be treaded upon by us, lower beings (leave alone trampling), without those due apologies each time!
I could not subscribe to these logic(s) till I underwent a spiritual program where it was suggested to ‘experience’ the worth of walking as gently as possible, within a ‘prescribed’ perimeter, to get opened up thereby to newer dimensions of consciousness! I would not elaborate this, lest it may end up being an “ad nauseam” !!
I received a vey genuine query from a very lovable youngster, regarding “what is to be done, when inside a temple”. I value his ability for his being very outspoken, and so would not mind mentioning some additional details he gave, to further strengthen the purpose of his query:
Quote:
1. I am lazy
2. I [subconciously] dont believe visiting the temple serves any purpose spritually or otherwise.
3. I dont know what I am supposed to do when I am inside a temple.

Of the 3, I somehow feel, the last one holds more water than the rest. (……)…I dont feel any sense of spirituality or closeness to God and maybe thats why I dont want to go.
Unquote:
And, the reply I gave is as hereunder:
Do you remember, some time ago I quoted a famous couplet by Omar Khayyam(the renowned poet of middle east), “Masjid mein jam peeney dey Jahid, warnaa woh jagah bataa dey jahan Khuda na Ho” (Either allow me to drink inside the Masjid, or else show me a place where God is not present!).

The 2nd and the 3rd points used to match my own reasons too, when I was a kid. Laziness was never a reason. But, my grandmother confused me further, by insisting that I visit the native temple in a semi wet condition, right after the dip (for bath) in the village pond, all the belongings sanctified by the dip (plus wash of used clothes—change of dry washed was only after reaching home!). She herself was not regular or meticulous about visiting the temple! This added to my doubts! My doubts were more hurting, like, when asked to pray, I asked if God needs to be told what I wish/deserve/desire etc, through a prayer(most of the ‘prescribed’ prayers were either about asking for some benediction or just offering tributes to His glory)? But, I knew that a tradition that has lasted thousands of years could not be casually discarded as meaningless. Some where down the line, the grasp of its significance has eroded, and hence the present day doubts. Most people lack the courage to ask themselves these genuine questions, leave along ‘voicing’ it! So, I continued the practice of visiting temples, and also intensified it when I could ‘stand’ on my own legs, to the extent, that I covered almost 95% of all the places of worship (not just temples) around the two states that I could reach during week ends. The difference was that I did not have the usual agenda. I just attempted to make myself open, receptive to what ever was likely to happen by these visits. I mentally ‘handed’ over myself to the unseen, to do what ever the ‘higher’ power finds me fit for, at that point of time. When alone, I spend as much time as possible inside the premises (not necessarily the sacrosanct inner place where visiting duration is often restricted to few minutes). It is only in retrospect, that I know for sure that none of my visits were in vain!!
I think if that ‘trust’ is good enough, it is good to visit thus, despite the fact that we hardly know of any ‘moksha’ or enlightenment that has happened inside a temple/place of worship!!
I did learn of many scientific aspects due to keen observation, intense pursuit etc. The details would be too elaborate, and each would merit a separate narration due to its own great value! This addition of analytical information enriched my knowledge about the art, technology, and unsurpassed skill of the great people who constructed the ancient temples. Each, I found, had unique greatness, and the intangible aspects to be of a far greater value than its visible ones! Some incidents even appeared ‘mystic’ to me! There was a case of a colleague of mine (quite senior by age, position etc, still in service as a Senior Manager), who insisted that I accompany him whenever I could, during his ‘undertaken’ visits to an ancient temple. After a lot of persuasion he revealed his reason, that he ‘experienced’ far greater ‘effect’ or results, when I was with him(this was his chance discovery after our joint visits for over an year at the rate of twice-a-week). Being a chatter box, I used to voice my keen observations, during most visits. Some how it happened that he also felt a greater ‘presence’ when the electric power failed during one of our earlier visits, and I attempted to ‘show’ the positive side of absence of ‘negative’ flow of current, while he started murmuring the abrupt discomfort due to loss of illumination, which even hampered our movement for pradakshinam etc. Most temples in Kerala disallow electric lights inside the sanctum-sanctorum even now, as a matter of tradition!
If I try to put forth my experiences as a logical reason in support of justification to visit temples, it could be not only quite incompatible but might even strengthen the disinclination to visit, for those who go out of sheer ritualistic practice and / or out of their sheer ‘belief’. I was keen to replace ‘experience’ with such a belief. When the experience became strong, the need to visit temple got dropped by itself, despite the never-before-such-intense reverence for such places(And now, it is very clear why my grandmother insisted that I visit, though she herself did not adhere to ‘mandatory’ style of such visits! She is no more, to accept my apologies for lack of ability to grasp the reason then!). I cannot adequately offer tributes in words to the people who constructed such great temples (the “Hindu” temples if I may be allowed to call them so, due to sheer constraints of requiring some way of reference!). No two ones are alike! Each adheres to all known principles of architecture to the greatest conceivable measure, bearing uniqueness of justification of multiple need-based purposes as contra-distinguished with other places of worship! Look at the modern cars. Lot of innovation and planning goes into making it the most sought after vehicles! Not a single screw or piece of plastic is added without a purpose! Break-through is said to be achieved when a lighter alloy is discovered without compromising on strength, safety and fuel-efficiency, comfort, or all-round-performance! And therefore, when a place of worship is designed, to handle the well being of humans (the most complex ever machine!).... what words could possible be adequate to appreciate it! If it is to be a powerhouse to re-charge the human potential in every possible way! Imagine if some manufacturing defect is effortlessly taken care of by ‘service’ workshops! Oh! I have strayed into a domain where logic of the normal sensory level of perception cannot be expected to accept these suggestions! Better that I punctuate the reply here.
Regards,
Psn (11th August, 2009)
BTW, what do we do when invited for a thread-ceremony, a traditionally conducted marriage, a pooja, visiting a new born, etc? I could never keep a count of these types of questions, right through my kid-days!
( If I have been able to persist patiently till ‘God’ unfolded a few of His mysteries, I am sure, I shall be able to put up with delay or lack of responses to my sincere replies, as always!)

No comments: