Search This Blog

Sunday, August 02, 2009

Taxing 'returns'

We are always on the look out for “feasibility” for doing something good.
I wonder, what about ‘viability’?
Anyway, the request for an incident which actually gave strength tempted me to narrate my experience. But, this time, the recipient of that ‘strength’ was the ‘other’ person not me. Still, I thought I can narrate it, being at least a witness to that strength permeating into that other person.
Psn
http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090731072602AAkEo3X

Is it always feasible to do good and expect nothing in return?
i mean i like to do good, but sometimes feels sad when the receiver doesn't respond.

Additional Details
thanks to all of u: could u narrate an incident which actually gave strength to your saying so? @Nick : well said, but i don't know why i feel that your saying, "so do good without expecting something in return and you will reap the benefit in some way or other", is also some short of expectation in some way.

My story: (offered as 'answer' on the forum)
An interesting incident happened a few years ago. I was driving a 100 cc motor bike, forgetting to fold the 'side-stand-rod'. A moped driver struggled to chase me, uphill, and finally overtook me, and waived his arm to get my attention, and warned me. I tried to thank him, but he just grinned, being visibly angry because I could not hear his horn for a long time, and he had to strain a lot with that 50 cc moped!At the next signal, we both were waiting for 'green'. I gently told him that he owes me a cup of coffee. This time he decided to voice his annoyance. It was he who saved me, and so why should he offer a cup of coffee? That was his query. He once again chased me, and asked for explanation. I parked on road side, and offered him my explanation. "Please see, at the most , I can become capable of little bit of "gratitude" if at all I am a decent human being, because you saved my life, not I (presuming that the unfolded side stand would have landed me in some danger). But, you have the "joy" of having saved somebody's life. Which is greater, and gives more happiness, Joy or gratitude? " I asked him. He seemed convinced and this time offered me a cup of coffee genuinely, and confessed that all along, he was stuck, looking out for that "return", and missed the 'fountain' of joy waiting right within himself. I was in a hurry, and told him that I felt amply rewarded in knowing that I made him 'independent' of receiver's reciprocation.Trying "not to expect" return itself is a reminder and so it may not really work. If we are able to get immersed in our own joy of the deed, the act, we don't even seem to notice any return. Perhaps this may work! However, it is nice to know that somebody is keen to keep doing good, and therefore this question.
Source(s):It did happen with me, on my way to work!

No comments: