Search This Blog

Saturday, August 07, 2010

I see .....

My eldest uncle used to close his eyes, and then utter the words “I see…” quite often. I was a kid, and hence, had no jurisdiction to get any clarification as to how one can ‘see’ when eyes are deliberately closed!
This ‘seeing’ presented lot of problems to me right from childhood. That simple mango remains elusive, while that cousin of mine declares that it is so visible to him. I would pray that it gets seen by me too, so that I am ‘in’ the competition to hit it with a stone, but every passing moment adds to the frustration, and as if the mango is quite alive to my lack of sight, joins with the other kid, and reveals itself at the precise moment when the ‘destined’ stone hits it, and it falls! (I used to ‘wish’ if some giant hand would shake a little, the huge branches of that large tree, so that I can ‘see’ the mango when it ‘swings’ distinctly amidst the green leaves that camouflage it!)
When the teacher seems to explain things about plants, trees, river, sky, thunder, lightening etc in our early school lessons, my worry was whether I can be sure if I see those things the same way, at least as the teacher sees, though nothing like matching the vision of that author of the ‘lesson’. Oh! For those dry subjects, even that author’s name seemed elusive! (There was just some ‘compiler’ of those lessons!).
As if to compound the problem, people comfortably comment “I WAS mistaken”, and “I mistook you” quite interchangeably, when the issue was just about wrongly ‘assuming’ a person to be ‘so-and-so’. How can he be ‘taken’ or how did he happen to ‘take’, missing something, when it is just about wrong visual identification? (God help, those identification parades conducted by Police!).
The best of our data-input devices came under a heavy scanner, creating so many doubts about our ‘vision’. Are the blind better off? That was my ‘private’ doubt, for, I lacked courage to voice this proposal! Even those ‘glasses’ sitting on my nose for decades now, loved to ‘clearly’ add to the confusion (even getting myself photographed presented a problem, because the best part of me, my eyes, got obliterated by the glare of light reflecting from the glasses over my eyes!).
When walking along the road, I used to observe the faces of people passing by, to know if they really ‘see’ things better with lots of ‘seeing’ experience. But most of them ‘seemed’ to be lost in their own world, and the long faces giving a feedback that they are no better even in their own ‘uniquely individual private worlds’!

(And now, most of us ‘choose’ to look at this world only through a ‘monitor’ most of the time, distorting it more ‘clearly’ as we climb higher on the resolution and pixels!).

Surely something is ‘amiss’! It would be wise to get our ‘vision’ corrected and adjusted to this planet at our earliest, as long as we are here! It is after a very long wait that some glimpse at ‘perception’ took place.
Any way, it was quite comforting to find yet another person ‘seeking’ to get clarity about ‘seeing’. This time, it is about ‘calling’ too, what we see.
(Well, spirituality, incidentally seeks to ‘unify’ the vision absolutely and conclusively too!)
Psn(7th August, 2010)
http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100805175103AARq6FH
Philosophically which is correct: "I call it as I see it" or "I see it as I call it"?
My answer:
The 'correctness' is very relative.

There are experts who master sound so well that when they 'call' then something can be seen.There are people with good perception who can 'call' it as they 'see' (least distortions, in perception).

Other wise, it is difficult to judge.

A coiled rope seen in dim light looks like a 'snake' to an 'overcautious' person!
A person who is under influence of drugs 'sees' what his mind calls (hallucination).

Philosophically speaking, each individual's perception is unique. So, we may say, we see the world differently, though we habitate the very same planet. With that highly imaginative mind, we almost create a virtual world of our own within and mostly 'dwell' in it.

No comments: