Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Double Negative

Using a bolt to bolt a bolt? May be yes…. When that tower bolt was beyond my reach, at that kid age, there was another widower bolt, lying by the door, with the young couple proudly hoisted up there slightly above my reach. This old bolt could reach the knob of that bolt, get interlocked into each other’s knob, with a twist, and push and another twist, I could wipe the dust and rust off my tiny palms, on my shabbily soiled trousers (knickers, or half pants.. or whatever….) with a glee, having ‘accomplished’ the task!

Kids use to supply me with ‘idea’ to invent a lie to hide another truth. And then yet another lie to hid this one! Unfortunately, I could not ‘allocate’ enough time to try out this art, perfect it, and master it, at that age, being too much engrossed with intense involvement in physical activities, most of those activities were labeled as ‘mischief’ by elders around. Thus I really missed out the practical utility of that ‘double negative’ idea!
Therefore (and not despite it), I could not even adequately appreciate the maxim “two wrongs cannot make a right” (or something to that effect).

And then came within my notice, only when I got ‘adulted/adulterated’ (into adulthood), of that strange occurrence amidst elders. It was a fashion among some, to ‘confess’ that they hate themselves doing something! ( We hear sometimes, “I really hate myself to say this, but what to do… I am compelled to say it…” and so on…!

I did not find it difficult at all when we deliberately use a “minus” sign on both the sides while trying to solve simultaneous equations in mathematics. Even in real life, “send/set a thief to catch a thief” seemed a wonderful idea. A good policeman had to be better skilled than the thief, to be able to spot the crime, and trace the culprit, looking for the motive, method, etc. But when it came to doubling the ‘negative’ emotion, in order to circumvent the arduous task of imbibing a positive attitude, I had my own doubts.

It was only when a question came up, that I could isolate the mischief creating misnomer! I wonder, if you would be inclined to ‘take’ the bite?

Regards,
Psn(17th August, 2010)



http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100813235716AARSzyR

hate a positive emotion if it forces you to better yourself?
can it be?

My answer:
Very few people would like to look at it that way! It is just like two minuses canceling out each other. For example, if a person chooses to say "I hate myself, when I smoke/get angry/injure others/etc..." and then this "hate-myself" takes over to force that person to drop other things, then, perhaps this question finds application. But, in effect, it is mere 'good' sense that has prevailed. It is only the urgency and haste that makes a person to 'brand' or label it as hate. It is a need less risk. While getting rid of something undesirable, such 'hate' which works positively might come to stay as a welcome attitude, and before we know it, it may churn out negative results. (Some people insist on addressing close friends with abusive words, just to reassure that 'closeness'. Once in a while it may be okay, but insisting upon it as the only way to keep that 'closeness' is stupidity, and might often land in trouble!)

No comments: