Search This Blog

Monday, June 08, 2015

Offering trust

“Actually... tell me... (...)”
Says my friend....
Now, he is my friend.. I ought to know...
His use of “actually” has no relevance what so ever, to the actuality that we people refer to, when some of us do use it a bit consciously, and so 'actually' his use of 'actually' is quite 'inactual' except that it turns out be a 'dos-command' to which his own memory bank gets invoked in a bit cohesive manner! (Yes, he fumbles for the right word, as I discovered, when he tried to oblige me , by trying to talk without the pre-fix of 'actually')... In a way, I also discovered that I have afforded him the 'trust' that I would never 'actually-mistake' his 'actually' :)

What he asked once after one of those 'actually/ies' was... “tell me... why the hell did this joint family system vanish?”

Two things I had to reconcile myself...
He assumes the right to use me like that hand held gadget to which we can even bark “ok google” and ask any stupid question... 'A dedicated' gadget! That's what I turned out to be, when emotions defied logic, and I decided to be 'his' :)

He also assumes (the second bout of reconciliation-statement), that I ought-to-know answers to all his queries!

This time, I thought let me try something easy for him to remember (so that understanding can take time!)...
I said, “Imagine, if that 'news hour debate' at the prime time 9 pm, where everybody shouts-out the rest, and barks, happens around you on a '24 X 7' basis?... May be that's one of the reasons, why joint-families broke off.. Bickerings too often over trivial matters!... And I thought at least some of the kids might feel-initiated into that 'gibberish-meditation'!! (smiley-icon)...”

“Well, I said, ... I ain't too sure... but do carry a small glimpse of that amazing coordination like the modern noise-less engines of the luxury cars, where a lot happens under the hood, but doesn't let out any noise! A swarm of ladies used to move around the kitchen, and only when we hear the 'scratching' sound of that half-shell of a cocoanut struggling to survive the chipping off, when forced on the sharp teeth of that scraper... that we kids hustle around for a share of the scoop that the lady hands into each of our eagerly cupped hands.. ... It took some time (years) for me to 'actually' realise that these ladies, do the real-meaningful scraping only after our quota (we the kids).. And some elder would try to solve his morning-puzzle, by listening keenly to that noise, and trying to guess, the vegetable that 'deserves' the gently-scraped 'flower-petals-like' peels of cocoanut kernel for its garnishing! (If the scraping is for further-processing, ... between two stones, pasted, blended by grinding, the scraping is at a pace of 'get-over-with-it' quickly)....”

He just gaped at me..

And I was wondering... if he was trapped inside the scraped cocoanut? Or was he locked inside the visuals of a traditional dish?.. or was he lucky, 'not-to-be-carried' away, and noticed the 'peak-noise-maker' of a healthy joint-family?

Somewhere, that 'offer of trust' ... over a period of time, tends to silence-a-bit, the other person! (Yes, I can vouch for this, when a 'regular-customer' at my work place, waits silently and even with a smile, when I look up to clear my own doubt about 'do I not owe to explain, why I am taking so much time to attend to him?'


Actually yours,

psn(8th June, 2015)

3 comments:

Wanderer said...

Very creative write up :)
It deals with a problem that could actually be responsible for falling values in the Indian homes .
Today desire to have own way especially where kids at times appear more knowledgable than elders ( it is more of what is read on goggle and not real understanding) conside the advise or views of experienced elders as outdated or not right for present times .
Dwindling number of children has made parents more indulgent and over protective . In return kids are becoming more demanding and used to having their own way .
Now of course " dil Bhi chota ho Gaya hai " aur personal needs ki fulfil Karen ka desire bahut bad Gaya hai .......
Nutshell mein joint family system has gone for a toss

Baturam Nayak said...

Trust is the actuality which when exists in purity, the "getting-over-with" 'anything-whatsoever', really becomes effortless & easy.

How wonderfully the baby keeps on putting the faltering steps forward with childlike confidence & ease, having the mother's trustworthy hand handy...and the attending mother too lets him going, reposing perfect trust on the 'trusting' child & enables him to make the learning complete ! And it applies equally well, to every aspect of life...

Yes, 'Trust' is the only actuality Sir, and the rest is but subservient to it !
Thanks & Pranam

P.S.NARAYANAN said...

"Subservient"...
Wah!
Symbolically, Nandi's team, team depict a surrender, a divine subservience, indicative example, for easy grasp of educated I illiterat!
psn