Search This Blog

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Though, I am not a Kaafir!



The word 'though' is a bit subtle, when it is said with a 'tho' in Hindi/urdu...
That song...
Main kaafir tho naheen... Magar aye haseen.... (after I 'knew' you..), I understood what Bangagi is!


It was 1973, and when this line struck me like a bolt, I was found guilty of misinterpreting a wonderful romantic song into a spiritual one! I heard this song incidentally, through the DD's Rangoli, and I went back into the memories of that allegation!... I could not counter the allegations then, and tried to look within, if there was something really wrong with me! Everybody around of that age, where insanity is of a unique kind, and there I was prematurely old!

Today, even the other stanzas seem wonderfully spiritual!..
I am not an 'enemy-by-default'... (says one couplet in that song)... but now I know what 'friendship' means! (reference to 'unconditional love' which becomes even a 'friendship', if the outside situation requires us to wear that kind of a garment/role!!!

I thank that poet of the movie, Bobby, for the wonderful theme... It does not matter that somebody fits that song into the story, to suit it “somehow”...
...
Kaafir, I suppose is a non-believer, or at best an athiest... but rigid religious viewpoints tend to look at them as 'natural-enemies' of 'that' religion! ...
'Ibaadat' is incidental to Bandagi, but not a pre-requisite at all!
Now, a blind-believer, who refuses to make use of,..... the unique gift of self-awareness, coupled with the sense of discretion, .... and gloats about that blind-belief as a capability (though knowing too well, deep within... that it was a matter of 'convenience' or giving in to laziness, rather than a sacrifice, or trust)... such a person, in spiritual terms, .... is he ever going to taste “Bandagi” in “real terms” (taste, I said, not even just 'experience'... there is a song “pibarey Raama Rasam, rasaney...” to glorify that sense of taste, when it comes to a Bandagi towards the personified form that we refer to as Shri 'Ram'.... )...
...
(Nothing hampered me, or dampened my spirits from 'also' enjoying the romance in that movie, then... despite this peaceful coexistence of spiritual thirst within me!)
...

Bandish-ly yours,
psn (28th April, 2013)


No comments: