Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Catalyst

“Bahut badaa aadmi hai wo... Mera Guru”(a great man, he is, my guru)... his eyes said it too well, the kind of reverence that he had for 'who-ever' that was... ...

That 'Guru' obviously was practising 'catalysm' (if we are allowed to make it into an 'ism'... If this ancient heritage can be reduced to an 'ism' , then why not the role of a 'catalyst'?)...

That youngster further offered, “aap ko agar interest hai tou mil-wavoonga” (if you are keen, I can see to it ... that you get to meet him)...

I did not appear to have impressed him 'enough'.. He displayed a kind of fatigue, at having failed to impress me... So, to cheer him up, I asked “Kya naam hai wo guru ka?” (what is his name, that guru)...


Now he brightened again, and said, “Mr. X”.. (since I knew the place about which this youngster was speaking about, and since that surname 'x' rhymed with someone I knew... It was now my turn, to show-some-interest... I asked “is it Mr. AAA(first name)... BBB(middle name), and X(surname)?”

“Yesss!” he beamed... and widened his eyes at a pleasant surprise... “Surprising, that you know his full name!” (only close family people bother to ask the first name, in the north... surnames suffice, to draw attention!)..

Now, I had to handle this very carefully... (else, I would be asking for trouble!)... I suggested: “Well long ago, he tried with me too... and he was an utter failure... But, it looks like I succeeded! See, I got off the hooks!... And he is stuck with his 'disciples' now!... Oh yes!... If you are keen, try reminding him 'do you remember this fool--(my name suffixed gently)?'.... if I am lucky, he may remember...”


It was very unlikely that I would meet this youngster again (it was a very casual and a chance-meeting at a common-friend's place)...

And it would not matter, if that 'guru' does say something about me...

But, this Mr.X, had spent some 6 hours a day, for 3 long years, with me, when I was good-for-nothing after office hours..
He had come to get a little bit of 'English' (fair working knowledge, enough to say, “I know English too, and can understand what is spoken”...)...
but, it so turned out that we worked into the very fundamentals of 'life'.... and that 'English' had anyway happened on-the-way... he could even speak, cohesively, for full 300 seconds to his top-boss, whose jaw-dropped, unable to grasp the entirety of so many sentences , when a confrontation became inevitable, to assert his(Mr.X's) rights to appear for some departmental exam, and the hall-tickets did not arrive...

After we parted (my transfer to south), that Mr.X too got transferred to a semi-urban area, where he decided to teach what he benefited-from as a 'clear-experience'... He did not venture too deep... He just taught a few postures which are known to have come down from ancient times, as tools to evolve spiritually (the yog-aasanaas)... And it did benefit his students, (as I could see from that youngster, who did give little more details... That X, hired a large wedding hall for a whole year, at a bargained rate, stating a charitable 'cause'.... and during wedding seasons, the '3-hours of morning sessions' would be suspended... some 3 batches were taught, of 60 people each! Good job!.. )...

'Oh!' I told myself... 'Even to 'know' that my humble attempt of a trial-role at “catalysm” had really worked reasonably, it took some 40+ years ... a chance meeting!' (But it did not really matter... I was only keen to know my own-effectiveness at communication skills, while what happened with Mr.X , for me , was quite incidental!)...

Too hectic, I thought... 6 hours a day, just with one person.... arey! Wi-fi ka zamaana hai... kuch meetha ho jaay!


Catalystically yours,

psn (3rd Aug, 2015)

No comments: