Search This Blog

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Decision Making (body)!

The moment I became acquainted with the existence of abstract-concepts, this was perhaps the most intriguing question for me, when I was a kid!

The kid seldom 'gets' to make any decision at all... even about oneself!

The elders simply 'assume' the powers to decide anything and everything about a kid!

The joy of having a large place all to oneself gives a strange kind of feeling of freedom to a kid, and they simply find a joy overflowing out of them... A large hall, a vast seashore, a wide playground, etc..! Somewhere, the 'choice' about 'do what you like' here seems to open up a bit wide!

(When the kid realises that his 'decision-making' is usurped, he very consciously evolves into making attempts to make and enforce his own-decisions, and this is seen as 'stubborn-ness' or obstinacy, by the elders around).

With legal entities, we humans call it a 'body' that makes a decision... The committee is the decision-making-body...

When we look at stories, the source of 'decision making' seems to give us precious lessons.. One kid-story that did make an impact on me was about... a mother bird leaving the nest early asking the kids to listen to what the farmer says, about harvesting, since the very life-span of their home, the nest... depended on the harvesting of paddy, in that rice-field.... The farmer says, 'tomorrow, I shall ask my relatives to help me'.. nothing happens. Next day, he says, 'I shall ask friends to help me'... still nothing happens.. next day, 'I shall ask my neighbours to help'... then the next day, 'I shall ask my children to help...'... The mother bird keeps track of it each evening after returning to the nest with food-for-kids. Then the farmer was heard saying, 'tomorrow, I shall start the harvest all-by-myself, not waiting for anybody'... and the mother bird also says, 'Kids... time to leave now!'

When we look at movies... Sholay steals the show! Somebody tells that sober friend, 'Hey, you friend is saying he would jump off that tall water tank!' and this sober friend says, 'Don't worry, when the drink in him wears off, he would climb down!' (He is so sure of the 'decision-making' pattern of his friend!)...
'Did I say too much?' asks the drunkard, and the sober one says, 'Having said it, let us face it together now!' (when the former makes a tall-claim about taking on all the 'enemies' at once!)...
The psychological impact on the audience climaxes, when this friend discovers that decisions were 'decisive' only by his sober friend, whose love was used by this drunkard as 'trust' .. The decisions were adequate to even insure the friend's life!.. the toss of coin was redundant, when both sides of this freak-coin were the same—heads!

Another movie is famous for its punch line, 'Once I make a decision, I never listen even to myself later on!' (the audience is thrilled, but very few give a thought about, 'why ain't I like that?')

This body, is itself a result of some decision-making about what we propose to do with this life time! Once this is made-aware-to-ourselves, the rest of the decisions become so 'clear'!

The spiritual Master 'likes-to-know' ... the 'source' of decision of a disciple, to enable this master to decide upon accepting the role of a teacher for that disciple!

What in us decides, as to whom for we are going cast our vote ? Do we vote in favour of our cravings(physical or mental), our knowledge potential, our common-sense, our emotions, our trust-potential, our 'energies'... and so on! And then, the next few decisions get out-sourced to that 'source in us'!

With that 'Don' in the movie 'Godfather' the style was 'I made a proposal which the other could not refuse'! ( a decisive proposal indeed!).. And when I tried to admire this 'punch-line'.. I at once realised that there were quite a few 'beings' hovering over my head, who decided to just keep chasing me, whatever happens! And the best advantage about them was, perhaps, time was/has-been... always on their-side! And now I could decide about my kid-old puzzle, 'who decided my spiritual quest'...!


Decidedly yours,

psn(11th May, 2014)

No comments: