Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 07, 2012

We have a situation now!

“We have a situation now...” The cop says over a mike, in the English Movies (American)... I could grasp the meaning only after hearing it several times!


I was familiar with another usage “I am situated at....” .... I used to hear this often during my school days. Now it is out of fashion. Now, when 'we have a situation'... it also means, the situation HAS us (got us, stuck in it!).


How do we deal with the situation? How do we get out of it? (Cops have to get into 'situation' (their situation is unique, thrilling, risky, dangerous etc).


I had been putting off, the learning 'to ride a bicyle', for too long.... where as, all most all of my classmates used it daily, to commute to school. A very close friend, decided it is time to push me into it, and we had his cycle at stake (his magnanious choice!), and the school ground empty one summer afternoon(we had 'morning' school during hot months). In a matter of about 30 minutes, I could stay on the seat, use the pedal, and keep going straight.... only straight... not yet ready to turn left/right.

Once I got a feel of it, my focus got diluted, and now my future problems cropped up.... Right now the ground is vacant, no sharp turns, no narrow lanes, easy to ride. But what to do when somebody abruptly comes in front of me? I knew the effect of sudden braking. (As if reading my thoughts, that friend of mine took another cycle of a common friend, and deliberately brought it across ..... cutting my path. I banged my cycle into his, and both of us fell. No serious injuries. That friend was giving me a 'feel' of what accidents look like! I got over the fear, and never had any serious accident during 40 years of driving two/four-wheeler autos even!(Experience pays.... I got the concept!)


Sermons(that we get to hear, and a few of them that find an appeal in us) never come really handy when we get into 'situations'! (That is why the 'Kolaveri-di', when we hear the 'preachy' stuff!).... It seems easy to grasp, or even try out the teachings, like the smooth straight ride on an open ground, for a beginner on cycle-riding...... no sooner there is a crowd of problems, chaotic traffic like situation, these sermons seem to further confuse us coming to us(memory recollection), in pairs, with opposite meanings! (Somebody sent me a mail, with pairs of proverbs, carrying a meaning just the opposite of each other!).


So, how to deal with the 'situation'? The first hurdle usually is that our negative emotions overpower us even before we get to understand the situation fully. Even with sufficient practice, chaotic traffic makes us tense, when we are caught in the middle of it, driving a vehicle... Only one category of vehicle drivers seem unruffled by any kind of traffic ... situation, that is...... the youth who got hold of their prized bike, brand new, stylish look, etc.... Not that they do not get into accidents. For that, the worrying part/task, they 'outsource' it to their parents, who are bankers provided by nature! But, they are not tense about the situation. That is the point. (May be they cause tension to others on road). They enjoy riding it, whatever the situation. That is the essence. If somehow, we can get that attitude(remaining joyous in chaotic situation), we would do far better in life-situations, learning each time, evolving faster with each situation, and keep riding / gliding through life, throughout life. Emotions like fear & anger cloud our vision, and the situation appears blurred. We begin to scramble, and if too many around shout, we get further confused!

To make a small beginning, maintaining that breath-awareness might help to retain the calm, joyousness (anyways, we need to keep breathing all the time.... just try to maintain the breath awareness... no big risk, no big task... if it does not work, just drop it!).


(I had just managed learning, to take along somebody(even two people) on bicycle as a pillion rider/s.... I still envy those who could hold the left handle-bar of another bicycle, with their right hand, and ride both, seated on one! They are like Guru's on spiritual path, they can carry even an-other vehicle along, remain stable themselves, and teach others to ride well!)


psn(7th February, 2012)

No comments: