Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Response-Ability

Very recently, I was inducted into a group in the social media platform, which comprised of a homogeneous mixture of people, though they hailed from a thoroughly heterogeneous background...

The grooming was 'unto-becoming' a homogeneous kind, and for good...

Modern terminology calls it 'work-culture'.. it depends on how that work place views, the 'nurturing of employee's attitude' to be shaped, whereby, ... that organisation ensures its own growth only-through-the-growth of its customers :)

And so ,
the upper most of my thoughts started re-living those incidents at work place, which I felt were quite precious-to-me...

That sense of Response-ability.. got hammered into me within about 2 or 3 days of my joining duty... (the story is 40 + years old)...
“A-p-o-l-o-g-i-z-e”.... ordered the branch secretary of worker's union to me (I was supposed to become a member of this very union, when my services will get 'confirmed' after the probation).

I was to say, “I apologise” to an elderly person, of the subordinate category ....
As a fresher, I would have said those 'holy-words' even without so much of that 'thundering-voice'..

I was so used to being 'pushed-around' by any elder, right from the kid age (the family being large, now-called as 'joint')... I had long abandoned that urge to find out a 'why-so' when somebody orders me about, or inflicts a minor punishment... Mostly it was the only way they reassure themselves of their own presence-being-felt :)

I just reeled out that apology (and yes, that leader/neta ensured that quite a few of other staff too had got to-notice my act of 'tendering-unconditional-apology!'...

My personal-tragedy was, I didn't know why I was being asked to say it out ... (this song too was a little cruel, when it came too late for me... “aisa kya gunah kiya”... Hindi movie, 'Hum dil de chuke sanam')

I would have almost forgotten the whole incident ,
but for ...
what happened subsequently. :)
That leader was dragged towards me, and was forced to repeat an apology to me, by the 'recipient' of my apology :-))
This was something that I never expected !
That 'repeat' of apology... was supposed to be a 'full-refund' like , for something not fulfilled (cinema ticket refunded , when those 'reels' of that movie didn't arrive, etc)...

Now, two tragedies for me... First apology and Second apology... reasons unknown!

I decided, that this 'elderly-subStaff' was 'bound-to-be' a good-man, (that forced refund wala gesture)... and asked him 'What is this all about?'

He explained: “See, ... I am the inferior-most among the class of workers... sub-staff... and yet these people, have unanimously decided , not-to-tell any work to me!... You, in all innocence being a fresher, asked me to fetch that subsidiary book, to record the summary of voucher-transactions of the day... I am meant to be told that work, and what you did was perfectly-in-order... Just that it didn't suit the 'unanimous' decision of these guys to boycott-me from being told any work!.. You were not-even-told of such arrangement!!! That was their-fault, and I nailed them on that, to extract an apology from that fellow!”

He did not elaborate any further...

Over a few days, I made it a point to carefully observe this 'elder'...
Nobody told him any work... Even the official-record where 'allocation-of-work' is written up, failed to mention his name...
But he worked quite incessantly, and tirelessly....
The suspense doubled when I saw, even-regular-customers of that branch gave the same-treatment (no work shall be told to you—wala) !!

He was almost about to retire in a few months...

I had to be very sure, that I really got to the bottom of his 'ailment' (for being singled out thus!)...
I did manage.
He was a clear case of 'ability to respond'...
Then, where is the need to be told, “do-this, and do-that' ?... (Arey, .... that auto-pilot syshtim/system, in a modern aeroplane is just that! It responds to what the 200 dials says... Pilot/s can go to sleep/coffee-parlour/toilet/etc... )

What was meant to be an 'insult' , and then a learning for me.. turned out to be the most precious of lessons, taught in an unforgettable way :)..
I just joined the band-wagon of those who decided , not to tell-him any work... (I even tried to help him with whatever he-picked to do... anyway, I was a super-numerary-clerk, waiting to be thrown at a 'genuine-vacancy' at a remote village :-)... But that 'dada'/elder, would plead, 'no, at least not you!'...). I almost got 'adopted' as his own kid, while at work !

(That 'guy' might have been smiling from 'upstairs' for some recent-two decades... He inflicted me with his dis-ease, quite significantly... I couldn't help 'responding' to work that I felt, I had the ability to do )

Apologetically yours,
psn(15th June, 2015)


post script:
I had to omit names from this story... to make it ....'admirable' in large-scale, while the same thing, with names might become monstrous in small-scale (the movie “Night of the Generals”, Actor Omar-Sherrif's dialogue about 'murder'... “what is admirable in large scale is monstrous in small”).

2 comments:

Wanderer said...

He had the ability to do the needful then why was he singled out not to be told. Maybe union had more respect for him and didn't want anyone telling him what to do out of respect.
Have I got it right or not understood?

P.S.NARAYANAN said...

Yes