Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Tehzeeb

Oh!
I lack even the stature to talk about this word...(though I am still at it... trying to evolve into it.. till-my-last :-) I like it so much!....)

Even the climb was arduous for me... from Teh-Jeeb to that fuzzy sounding 'Z' (now we have the Z in 'Zee Movies' , to assist us )....

It is not that I try to escape from making a mention about what it means to the uninitiated ones into grace of Urdu language...
The popular sense of it oscillates between manners, etiquettes, and the like ones...

Though not picked as a 'best' answer,
somebody gave an answer, which I found a liking for....
(quote)
It's an Arabic word which literally means trimming or cutting out the bad, harmful, useless, obscene parts of the looks, speech, behavior etc. So it's used to denote editing (written literature), training, promoting good manners, and discipline and so on..”
unquote...

This 'Tehzeeb'... seems to be losing out its popularity , of late...
Speed, or the fast-pace of life is making it unaffordable, to a large extent...

By itself... it doesn't even seem to make any logical sense, ... it gives a certain kind of 'feel-good-factor' to the recipient... Logic doesn't support patronising it , any further! (maybe that's one of the reasons of its losing-out to 'traditionalism', a limb of perpetuating values!

'Perpetuating values'...?
Oops! I tripped on a live-wire ... (I guess :-)...}
Other life forms do not seem to look at 'values' ... the way we humans do... maybe they weren't designed to 'accommodate' it... and the 'science' might argue that they don't even need such values, being superior in some-way-or-other, in terms of capabilities at sensory levels, (for reasons of self-preservation/perpetuation etc.. of the species).. ...

We humans, seek to 'evolve'... this is evident, from the quixotic adventures we undertake often, when such exercise has nothing to do with 'basic-survival' :-)

Now, to 'evolve'... we obviously need to 'contain' a few 'natural tendencies'... a bit sensibly, a bit intelligently... (like, we forego a good sleep on the eve of a public exam, we miss the TV serials, etc.. A neuro-surgeon of the 'west' is 'alledged' to be abstaining even tea/coffee, a week ahead of the brain surgery... so that his hands remain steady, and the tiny nerves come under his firm grip while suturing)....
we seem to undertake 'self-imposed' restrictions, while we attempt to evolve (some of us call it 'discipline' too!)...

This 'tehzeeb' , ... when it doesn't mean a thing, in existential terms... (it doesn't actually 'promote' any kind of material productivity, and such allied benefits)...
at subtle levels, it does seem to assist us to 'hold-on' to values... in a very 'round-about' manner!
(By itself, 'values' do seem to seek external 'support' till its breaking-point, when we hold on to values on-our-own)
In a simple example (if we attempt to say it).. it acts as a kind of 'speed-breaker' to our impulsive tendencies, those of which are negative in nature... (Tehzeeb curtails a spurt of anger, abusive-outburst, pre-judgmental-inclinations/orientations... etc)...... 

If it 'really' does that... (the speed-breaker-wala business...), ain't it good enough?

Well, I did not really miss any 'romance-phase' of life...
Just that I romanced with those 'evasive-values' which were too subtle to even allow a glimpse, leave alone a grasp-of-it.. at tender childhood age!..
Maybe it was therefore that , I found it worth while to indulge in a romance with this amazing urdu word 'Tehzeeb'... and so much that... I even use it with people who are utter strangers to that language, and then proceed to elaborate its equal terms, in a known language, while the reason was mere 're-living' yet again with an old romance-partner of mine :-)

My 'tehzeeb' prompts me... close this burdensome narrative, before it tells upon the patience of the reader!

Yours tehzeeb-ly,
psn(13th April, 2016)


Post script: Oh yes! I was not entirely-without any kind of material benefit, this quixotic adventure or romance with tehzeeb... I just move-out-of the other's way so graciously, once they give a hint, that I am being a nuisance! (To me, the only criteria being... can I survive, without causing a 'nuisance' to them, thus?. Don't I owe at least this much to my co-humans?.... Leaving it as 'their' problem, to figure it out... as to what they-miss, when I play-dead, in their experience!).. To me, it just means more-freedom, from my Tehzeeb/ed-concept, that I am interdependent with 'everyone&everything' around me :-)
It leaves me free to pursue spiritual path, with a little greater-intensity!

No comments: