Search This Blog

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Praayaschittaartham, parihaaraha

Abey... Mundee neechey kar”...

I was not quite familiar with this 'mundee' ... when that 'elder' next to me thundered thus, clenching his teeth, to keep the decibels low, but the 'thrust' of voice quite hitting me through his 'severe' glare!

Then he placed his palm on the back of my head, and forced me to crouch at the bench... and added, “aisey!”.... Now, I got it! Mundee is nothing but my 'quixotic' brain, and its casing, the skull!

I looked sideways, (which constitutes to be a 'sly-look' for others... usually I turn my whole head, to keep the dual-eyed-focus straight... Single-eye vision did not seem to afford the 'depth' of the object viewed!)...

Now I got the 'why' of my mundee, being grounded to the bench!... He had to look over at the answer sheet of the 'elder' next to me, on the 'other side' (I was 'flanked by elders' on both sides, left and right ...).

That was the “seating pattern” devised by our school, to prevent 'copying' in our 'weekly tests' which was then-the-name, for today's mid-term examinations at school... I was just in 6th... the junior most in the high-school section, and therefore was quite 'new' to the 'traditions' established by elders! I never created further problems to any of my elders! (Anyway, I wasn't in that rat-race for marks/ranks... at home, I had got my instructions clear “fail in a class means, education-stop” .. My dad and his uncles had failed quite a number of times, in each class, and I was 'expected' to be a slight improvement over it,... nothing more! That gave me the freedom to 'crouch' as and when required by the elders... all I was racing-against was just 'pass-marks' plus, an insurance of little more... nothing more-than-that.. 'non-crouched' time-space was more than enough to get-thro'..)...
It was only the 'maths' egjaam which tempted me beyond my self-restraint.. and I conveniently mis-interpreted the word 'choice' to suit my craze... 5 out of ten 'sums' was the warning... I found even the time ample for 10 out of ten, because, somehow, that maths-sums sounded quite 'eejee' to me!...(anything, to sound 'easy' had to translate into a job done 'quickly'—those were the parameters taught to us at school, then! And at home, I was 'wondering' why that 'stone-picking' from ration-rice--- chaawal se kankar chunn-na--- did not sound the opposite of 'easy' when it require a labor-intensive and time intensive task! Too many family members, and finances were less, so cleaning that 'ration-rice' needed help from kids in the family... for elder males, it was a 'below-dignity' job, belonging only to women folk!... No 'sin' involved in punishing kids, who were not yet adults! 'Ration rice', to me was easily identifiable, when 'lot' of pebbles/stones, white ones, were 'found' in a rice!).... And when the maths teacher (a wizard from M.A.--maths-teachership), chided me... I stuck to the prescribed choices ('correction' was needlessly stretched, with my answer-paper... and therefore the warning!).

A little later, it dawned that I too, was a 'party' to the unethical conspiracy of these elders... but I could do nothing 'about it'... Figuratively and literally, my head was at stake!

That led me to take a look at 'sin' aspect a little closely... Three 'big' doubts 'came', into my tiny mind... 1) Atonement... 2) rectification, and then 3)forgiving ...

I kept the search on... for the equivalent of that 'forgive' in desi languages... While many 'adaptations' were force-matched to suit the convenience of unhindered 'flow' of conversations, it(the available substitutes... like kshama, etc.. 'maaf' seemed better!) really failed to convince me!
The prime-doubt was... did the ancients 'realise' that any 'error' was 'entirely' related to the doer, and the recipient of any hurt/injury/etc of any wrong-doing had no subjective-oriented act towards oneself, to be even looked into, save... any remedial measure?... The ancient theory of punishments too seemed to subscribe to this 'theory'! Maybe, it was due to a deep grasp about 'mind-related-residues', that the residue acruing to any erroneous act of the other, would be a sheer stupidity, if it creates a 'residue' in the recipient! The whole of scriptures was addressed to 'individuals' and did not warrant any 'receptivity' of residues from any act of the other... Residues are a result of one's own reactions, not pertaining to any source-of-outside-situation! That makes any forgivance by the other, for our actions, to be 'redundant'!!! The symbolisms, indicated through varied texts, seemed to make a very strong suggestion to this concept (or-else, ...or otherwise, .... I got it all 'wrong'! So, readers are to 'exercise their own prudence' while even 'trying' to subscribe to this theory!)

And then, the first two, atonement, and rectification did have its equivalent... 'Praayaschit' and 'parihaar'.. but even the colloquial equivalents in native languages somehow managed to allow a free use of these two, quite inter-changeably!

Parihaar was often used in astrology, when the dosh (error) was attributed to some far off planet, afflicting the native's birth chart... So, parihaar was not always a response to any sin, by me or even others... it is merely 're-aligning' of something that is not 'quite-in-conformity' with natural order of things... in tune with nature's design... or even the cosmic laws (as per perception of an individual!).. Setting things in order!

Praayaschit.. was 'noticeable' only when it accompanied a 'rectification-process' to what ever possible extent!

My quixotic mind, now tries to look at it as....
All parihaars need not be 'praayaschit-oriented' or praaschit-triggered...
Where as a Praayaschit need not always impose any parihaar (in some cases, the scope is extinguished even!)

I have a dictionary with malayalam script, which translates sanskrit words into malayalam language for giving 'some idea of its meaning' (The compiler obviously knew the 'worth' of sanskrit language, and was conscious of limitations while giving a translation of it, and calling it a dictionary!)...

This is what I found... so a quote, interpreted with my limitations:
Parihaar: 1)Tyaag (sacrifice)... 2)render something free of its defect... 3)revere/respect (aadar karna)

Praayaschit: “The prescribed actions, in accordance with the principles enshrined in the science of 'Dharma' to exterminate a 'sin'...
unquote;

Now, parihaar looks far more 'innocent' than the praayaschit, in spiritual terms!
Dharma is usually interpreted as 'religion' while .. the ancients who coined this term might have looked at it as 'righteousness' (the meaning implied in that urdu sher--- “khudi ko kar buland itna”
the rest of it ... 'ke har tehreer ke pehle khudaa khud pooche .. bataa teri razaa kya hai”... what ever we do do become 'buland' is righteousness... no actions prescribed... actions being situation-dependent!)
Sin, is perhaps, what ever does not fit to be a righteous act... act of thought, word or physical-action...

Since it is the residue of the actions, that we accumulate often... the freedom lies in exterminating the residue... and till then, this residue is in 'conformity' to the concepts of what can-constitute-to-be ... also... the equivalent of a 'sin' (here, in spiritual terms, the 'social norms' of what a sin is , is not a quite 'exhaustive' list.. the society-prescribed list is 'worldly'... loukik.. and is basically 'intended' for a smooth social order... it does not 'encroach' into spiritual-sense-of-sin... simply because, this whole 'business' of spirituality was considered to be 'purely a matter of personal choice'... And “perhaps” it is... 'therefore'... that a seeker is puzzled, when the 'progress' on a spiritual path is attributed to 'strange-looking' and 'new-new' lists.. of 'defects'/hurdles... and confusing us calling 'even-that' and 'this' as “a-sin”... Arey? Yeh sab bhi galat maana jaata hai kya?... Baap-re-baap... kathin-pari-sthitee hai yahaan tou!... Na jaane hum aam aadmi ka kab bedaa paar hoga!

'Debugging' seems to suit that 'parihaar' in the e-world.. and if debugging is too difficult to be an 'original', copy-paste of somebody's codes!.. if copy paste is not readily available, re-route the very loop, clandestinely ... to appear as if that function was dealt with (data availability takes time, to find the ineffectiveness of debugging.. by then, we are on a different project.. or.. hopefully, a group-leader/project-leader/'Manager'/etc!)... As yet, computer world deals with 'sins', in only one way.. 'benching'!... But we have that android-mobile etc (what ever it is!)...


psn (29th March, 2014)

No comments: